Rooster Tail vs Wake


It may seem like a simple and aimless question.  But what is the difference between rooster tail and wake? Boat wake is defined as the "V" shaped wave left behind as a boat moves through water.  I think of rooster tail as water being thrown straight up in the air. But more specifically, what is the definition of the fast moving water exiting the sides and leaving the prop before it becomes "wake"?  Is there a technical term for it?

Mason H.


You are right on your definitions, but the only word for the water off of the prop that I can come up with is "prop wash".




Please submit whatever questions you have to  All questions and answers selected will be displayed on this page as they come in.  Note: though all boaters are welcome, priority may be given to I.H.R. members.  Randy can not be held responsible for any advice given.  Though his information and expertise is second to none, he has no control over what you do with your boat.  It is up to you to boat safely and act responsibly, and his advice is only to be used as a guidance for your high performance boat/motor of which you are the one responsible for the risks involved.

Mark C.


[ Home l About I.H.R. l History l Models l Registry l Members' Pictures l Feature Article l Tech Talk ]
[ Literature l Events l Top Guns l Guest Boat l Classifieds l Video Gallery l Racing Corner ]
[ Prop Slippage Program l Animated Videos l Screen Savers l HIN Decoder l Links l Contact Mark ]