I have a 1998 Scout 162 with1997 Johnson 90 two-stroke motor.  I had it for about a year and a half now and have been going to the Gulf coast at least once a month.  It appears to me, since all the fishing I do is done in the shallow water, bay areas, that I might benefit from installing a jackplate.  I was considering Bob's hydraulic jackplate but would like to hear what you guys think about it.  I do take kids to the lake during the summer and pull them behind the boat so I wouldn't want to affect the weight distribution or pressure on transom or anything like that.  Obviously I do a lot of trailering as well.  What do you recommend as far as setback and things of that nature?  Thanks in advance.  Aleks



For your application a jack could be used to get a little shallow water clearance. A good heavy cupped prop will be needed to make the whole thing work though. Watch water pressure with a suitable gauge and you should be fine. I'd stay around a 6" model as they are the most popular. You’re more likely to find a deal on that size. 




Please submit whatever questions you have to IHRTechTalk@yahoo.com.  All questions and answers selected will be displayed on this page as they come in.  Note: though all boaters are welcome, priority may be given to I.H.R. members.  Randy can not be held responsible for any advice given.  Though his information and expertise is second to none, he has no control over what you do with your boat.  It is up to you to boat safely and act responsibly, and his advice is only to be used as a guidance for your high performance boat/motor of which you are the one responsible for the risks involved.

Mark C.


[ Home l About I.H.R. l History l Models l Registry l Members' Pictures l Feature Article l Tech Talk ]
[ Literature l Events l Top Guns l Guest Boat l Classifieds l Video Gallery l Racing Corner ]
[ Prop Slippage Program l Animated Videos l Screen Savers l HIN Decoder l Links l Contact Mark ]