Voyager Transom

Randy, I recently purchased a '76 Voyager with a 175 merc and I am having problems with the transom.   The transom has cracked from the top right corner along the top of transom about 10 inches and the crack is starting to head up onto the top of the hull.  What should I do about this?   A plate just on the back wouldn't be enough I don't think.  I think what I need to do is run a plate along the transom and have it fold up into of the back of the hull. Is this the right thing to do and is there an aftermarket part like this sold?

Thanks Randy, Dan


All brackets and braces are homemade, so to speak. Check the transom for the wood core rotting out. If this is the case, the metal bracing will be just a band-aid. Look at the condition in the bolt holes, etc.




Please submit whatever questions you have to  All questions and answers selected will be displayed on this page as they come in.  Note: though all boaters are welcome, priority may be given to I.H.R. members.  Randy can not be held responsible for any advice given.  Though his information and expertise is second to none, he has no control over what you do with your boat.  It is up to you to boat safely and act responsibly, and his advice is only to be used as a guidance for your high performance boat/motor of which you are the one responsible for the risks involved.

Mark C.


[ Home l About I.H.R. l History l Models l Registry l Members' Pictures l Feature Article l Tech Talk ]
[ Literature l Events l Top Guns l Guest Boat l Classifieds l Video Gallery l Racing Corner ]
[ Prop Slippage Program l Animated Videos l Screen Savers l HIN Decoder l Links l Contact Mark ]